Long Overdue
It's Friday night, the opening night of the 2010 Winter Olympics, and I think I may be the only person I know who still doesn't have cable! Most of the time, I don't care, but tonight, I really would like to be watching NBC. We do have a digital converter, but for some reason, our converter and NBC have a precarious relationship. One minute, beautiful, clear coverage. Next minute, a frantic, stuttering, broken image freezes in the middle of the screen. What's a girl to do?
This girl decided to update her blog :) I realized this week that I have again taken a long break in between posts, and tried to figure out why. The answer is simple. I'm trying too hard to find the perfect topic, perfect photo, and perfect time. It's silly of me, I know. My extremely limited reading audience probably couldn't care less if my photos are clear and crisp, or if my narrative is clever and witty. Heck, most of you probably have forgotten I even have a blog! And you know what? That's really okay. I have known and slowly come to accept over the past 11 years that as of January 8, 1999, most peoples' interest in my life is inextricably linked to what is happening in my children's lives. I can't blame anyone for that. I ever so humbly agree that they are pretty special kids!
Thanks for bearing with me this far....
So, yes, on to the kiddos. Let's start with kiddo #1. Riley. Our baby girl is growing up sooooo fast. The biggest change in her life this year has been the development of some very special and sweet girlfriends. She's constantly having one or more of them over to spend the night, or is being invited to go somewhere with one of them. I'm happy for her to have so much fun, but it's just another evidence of the inevitable, seemingly just around the corner, event dreaded and yet longed for by every parent - adulthood.
And kiddo #2...Kole. Kole is so much fun! He is so excited by everything new. He's a blast to take just about anywhere. He has also made some friends this year through our church and our homeschooling group. He's been a little obsessed lately with what is commonly known as soda pop science. It basically consists of placing different types of mints into a bottle of soda, the mixture of which is supposed to create a geyser-like explosion. The experiments don't always work out so well, but it doesn't seem to lessen the thrill of the pursuit, so he presses on.
Finally, #3...Nathan. The biggest news I have about Nathan is that he can READ! I was so very nervous about teaching him this year and being solely responsible for his learning this essential life skill, and learning it well. I can only give credit to God for bringing people into my life, both friends and acquaintances who are homeschoolers, and all of which have used a book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I know, it sounds like something from an infomercial, right? That's what I thought, too. Let me assure you, it's not. It's a reading program based on the old SRA principles, which were first developed in the 1950s. I don't know how popular they were or have been over the years, but I do know this - they work. So praise the Lord, we are reading !!!
Well, I am certain that I have said enough for one post - probably more. I do hope to come around more often and let you guys know what's shakin' out here in the Wild West. Until then, blessings to you.
Good night.
2 Comments:
Great to see you back on the blog! How old are you kiddos now? I'm finally saying mine will be 5 and 7 soon. Crazy... where did the time go?
Mine are 11 (!), almost 9 (!!), and 5 1/2. Time does indeed fly. I love your blog - it is fun to watch your kiddos grow up and get a glimpse of your life. You are truly a blessed woman :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home