It's Raining Soccer Balls...

My living room floor is at this moment literally littered in soccer balls. I've just finished printing our last name in vibrant red permanent marker on each of the 10 balls we own. Why do we own so many? Well, mostly because we're coaching this year - and we coached 2 years ago. If you've ever coached soccer, or any other sport, you already know that as a parent volunteer, you're left with the responsibility to provide some of the necessary equipment for your team. We don't mind it. But I am in a quandry: Where will we keep all these balls until spring? I suppose we could divide them up and put a couple in each closet...
This is a great time for our family because right now, we spend all of Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6 pm on out doing something fun and healthy together. In addition, our children are able to interact with other children for the hour of practice. We get the privilege of watching our children interact, and of being involved with them in something they really enjoy. As Riley careens at shocking speed toward adolescent-hood, the realization is sinking in that they may not always think it's cool to hang with the parental units, so we're soaking up every moment while we can.
Nathan is not on a team because he just turned 4 not too long ago. But I'm sure next year will bring even more togetherness during soccer season since we'll have 3 teams to root for. For now, he's happy to play around the perimeter of the field while the big kiddos practice. He does the stretches and drills with them to the best of his ability, which I figure will translate into a bit of an advantage once he is on his own team.
I'm so thankful that Keith loves to do things like this with our children. I see so many families without dads or without a dad who is present and engaged in his childrens' lives. I can't help but send up a prayer of gratitude when I realize there is absolutely no arm-twisting required to get my husband to be with his kids. He loves them and they know it. He's their Superman. And I love that. I may even change my name to Lois.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home